I was first introduced to the Banoffee Pie during my college years in the Philippines, when I was going through the “Coffee Culture” phase thanks to Starbucks! I loved how cute and decadent those little personal pies looked and even though I didn’t really have a sweet tooth back then, it eventually became my favorite coffee companion.
Eventually I realized, if I was to say this was my favorite dessert, I had to know how to make it right? And because I prefer making things from scratch than buying them ready-made and not knowing what unhealthy stuff they were made with to last long, I decided to make my life harder and tried to do it the long, hard but more fulfilling way. If wish to make your life easier, you can opt to buy the graham pie crust, dulce de leche, whipped cream and shaved chocolate at the grocery.
Makes one pie.
- 10 pieces graham crackers, crushed
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 2 cans condensed milk
- pinch of salt
- hot water
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dark chocolate for shaving
- Make the Dulce De Leche ahead of time. I found that the safest way to do so is through the oven method. Just pour the condensed milk onto an oven safe dish, add a pinch of salt and cover with foil. Place the dish into a a roasting pan that can hold water. Add hot water up to about half the sides of the smaller dish. Bake for 2 to 2.5 hours at 425F.
- Mix the graham crackers, melted butter and brown sugar. Press the mixture onto a 9 inch pie crust. If you want to bake it, do so at 350F for 8 minutes or you can chill in the fridge for at least two hours.
- Make whipped cream just before assembly. Whip cream, white sugar and vanilla together until it forms peaks.
- Once everything is ready, add the sliced bananas and pour Dulce De Leche over. Top with whipped cream and shave dark chocolate over.