We recently had one of those rare snow days here in Atlanta and my go-to cure for those nippy days would be either soup or congee. I’ve had my staple Asian pantry ingredients lying around for some time now, waiting exactly for that really cold day to come and it finally did! Thank God, I now have an instant pot which cuts cooking time from at least two hours to twenty minutes. Since I knew ahead of time that I was gonna use pork floss in this dish, I decided to cut on the fat by using minced turkey meat here but feel free to use any meat you like!
Ingredients for the Congee:
- 1 pound minced turkey
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 cups water or broth
- 1 thumb ginger, sliced thinly
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- fish sauce, salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for topping:
- pork floss
- century egg
- spring onions
- Using the Saute function of the Instant Pot, saute onion, ginger and garlic until it sweats.
- Add minced meat, cook halfway.
- Add brown rice and saute until fragrant.
- Add water or broth and stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot.
- Switch to Congee mode and cook for 20 minutes.
- After cooking, make sure to release pressure using the natural way only! Never use venting as water with splash out.
- As soon as the lid may be opened, do so carefully. Give it a stir to check consistency. You can add water if it’s too thick.
- If you wish to thicken it, bring back Instant Pot to saute mode and give a few more minutes to simmer until it reaches desired consistency.
- Add toppings and serve hot.