Made this for Valentine’s dinner and it made my husband’s heart and tummy full! This is also one of my absolute favorite crab dishes and unfortunately, it’s not that common here in Atlanta. Hence, I decided to learn to make it myself. Really proud of this one! Best served with piping hot rice. Good for two .
- 1 whole dungeness crab (about 1 pound or so)
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 6-8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 thumb ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1-2 tbsp chili garlic oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- scallions, chopped
- Clean and portion crab either into two or four set aside
- Saute onion, ginger and garlic until fragrant.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add crabs until slightly cooked and set aside crab leaving the mixture on the pan.
- Add tomato paste, sweet chili sauce, chili garlic oil, soy sauce, lemon juice and brown sugar.
- Add cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce.
- Add beaten egg and mix until desired consistency.
- Adjust taste with salt and pepper.
- Put crabs back until turns bright orange and coat with sauce.
- Top with scallions and serve hot with rice!