Cooked this up for Sunday brunch when I was originally craving for Eggs Ben but knew that it was too indulgent when my husband and I are both trying to lose weight. Decided if I put in veggies, use whole wheat pasta and omit the most sinful ingredient of them all -hollandaise sauce, it would be a lot more healthier but not necessarily unsatisfying. Serves two, generously.
- 4-5 slices bacon
- 1 bundle asparagus cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 package whole wheat pasta
- 2 eggs
- garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- water for poaching
- parmegiano reggiano for serving
- Cook whole wheat pasta al dente style, drain and save pasta water.
- In the pasta water, blanch the asparagus for two minutes, drain and set in an ice bath.
- In a separate pan, poach eggs and set aside.
- Fry bacon pieces into a crisp, you may do this ahead of time. Make sure to dab excess oil off and save a little bit of bacon fat.
- In a large pan, add butter and bacon fat. Quickly saute the asparagus in low heat.
- Add pasta and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix in the bacon pieces.
- Set pasta on a plate and top with poached egg.
- Shave parmegiano reggiano cheese on top before serving.