A cross between two Filipino dishes both me and my husband love, The Binagoongan and Bicol Express that was such a hit, my husband kept raving about it for days and convinced me to make it a signature dish! Both dishes are usually made with pork but I opted for chicken to make it “healthier”. There are four things you should not forgo in making this dish to make the dish stand out:
- Slightly burn the eggplants
- Brown the chicken thighs
- Do not forget the chicken chicharon (cracklings)
- Never substitute the coconut cream for milk
- 4 large chicken thighs cut into desired portions
- fried or broiled Chinese eggplants
- green beans
- half a can of coconut cream
- 2-3 teaspoons shrimp paste
- 1 thumb ginger
- half an onion
- 2-4 cloves garlic (depending on the size)
- chicken chicharon (cracklings) for topping
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Sautee onion, ginger and garlic until fragrant and limp.
- Add the chicken skin side down and make sure to brown it.
- Add shrimp paste and coat chicken pieces.
- Add coconut cream and lower heat until chicken pieces are cooked (at least 20 minutes).
- Add green beans and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with broiled/fried eggplants with piping hot rice and top with chicken cracklings.